Email Transformation Initiative
Over the course of 2015 and 2016, the Email Transformation Initiative (ETI) is moving 550,000 mailboxes of 43 Government of Canada partner organizations from 63 email services to email@example.com, a common, modern, consolidated, secure, more reliable and more cost-effective email system that will:
- improve workplace efficiency and productivity;
- eliminate costly duplication;
- improve service to Canadians by facilitating access to the Government;
- raise the overall level of security to better deal with cyber threats; and
- have one government employee email directory instead of many separate organization-based directories.
Your.firstname.lastname@example.org is based on Microsoft Outlook. Government email addresses will be simplified to the “@canada.ca” suffix, thus eliminating acronyms that currently identify departments and agencies in email addresses.
- Service-oriented: A common email@example.com address format for government employees means that Canadians will take place over have easier access to the courseGovernment of 2015Canada, and 2016.a new Service Delivery Portal will help employees manage their own email account identity and passwords.
- Cost-effective: It is anticipated that the new email system will reduce costs, resulting in approximately $50 million in savings annually upon implementation.
- Secure: Up-to-date technology brings increased protection against cyber threats and privacy breaches. ETI will also enhance program delivery to Canadians and businesses by improving access to the Government.
- Smarter: A “whole of government” approach modernizes our systems and improves efficiency. ETI is a vanguard project and the first of its kind for an organization as large and complex as the Government of Canada.
- Blueprint 2020: Email transformation contributes to the development of an information technology platform that underpins the vision of Blueprint 2020 for a modern and world-class public service equipped to serve Canada and Canadians.
- Simpler: One system will improve communication and reduce duplication. An employee’s email address will remain the same for their entire Government of Canada career and won’t need to change if they move from one of 43 participating organizations to another. Also, employees will be able to see calendars across partner organizations.
- Date modified: